Friday, October 29, 2010

The Michelin Man "A Real Hero"

So I was approached by a co-worker asking me to make a cake for her boyfriend for his birthday. I asked what she wanted and mentioned something about the Michelin Man. I looked at her for a second, laughed, and then asked her what she really wanted...apparently she wasn't kidding. It all boils down to a game of Scatergories and a Michelin commercial. I did my research and this is what I came up with for her.

As you can see, I started with a Rice Krispie Treats sculpture
of the figure. I did this all from a picutre I found online. I did each section individually and then put them together on individual sticks. Once the entire figure was together I "sealed" it with royal icing.

Once it was iced I covered it with "Fondarific" fondant and used the hand tools to give it definition. Fondarific is awesome to use. Very easy to mold with and doesn't get "elephant skin" as easy as others. It even tastes a  bit better. One thing I would do differently is actually cover each section individually rather than all at once. There were some areas of the figure that was hard to cover. I got creative and just put pieces of fondant in the cracks and smoothed it out as best as I could.


This is the finished product. My friend bought the cake at a local grocery store and put the figure on it. He's standing up with a little help from a dowel behind him. It took me a couple tries to get it right. It was cool to watch it come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment