Friday, October 29, 2010

Some Light Reading

This was a present for my wife for her birthday. I told her I'd make a "Twilight Cake" and this is what I came up with. I had a number of ideas of how I'd do it. I finally just made a 4-layer cake and left a little bit more space between the layers to allow room to carve around the cake to make them look like seperate books. I wrapped white fondant around 3 sides and then made a long piece of black fondant about 2 inches wider than the cake to make the top and spines of the "books". I used the ball tool to make the space between the books. I then used a pointed tip to give the effect of pages on the front and sides of the white fondant. I cut black strips to make the seperations on the white part. The titles were all hand piped onto the spines. The infamous parrot tulip was made using a regular tulip cutter and then making small cuts along the edges to give it the ruffled look the flower is know for. The apple is made of Rice Krispie Treat covered with red fondant. This gave me a bit of trouble. I must say it will be a while before I try to make stacked books again. I was happy to cut into this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment