Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Gift for Everyone

   








 For Christmas Day at work I made everyone working that day their own personal cake. This is the beginning. I made 3 vanilla and 3 chocolate 10x10x2 cakes, stacked them, and then cut them into quarters. Once all the cake was cut I iced them and covered them with white fondant. On the cookie sheet, you can see the nametags drying. Those were made out of gumpaste. I used gumpaste because it dries hard and it would allow for the tags to keep it's shape.

                       

Next it was time to put the ribbon and the bow on. I made the loops the night before to allow them to dry overnight and be hard when I put them on the cake. The ribbons were simply a couple strips of fondant. The middle part of the bow I made when I was ready to attach the entire bow to the cake. I used a little water to make the the middle part sticky enough to attach either loop together. I placed it on the cake using water again. 

                   

This is the final product. I used an edible pen to write the names on the bows and brushed the color around the edges. I bought the a roll of the red foil paper to cover the cake boards with. The green bows were my favorite. They went very well with the red boards. The hardest part (more of a pain in the ass) was covering 12 individual cakes. It will be a while before I do 12 personal cakes again...at least by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment